Friday, February 13, 2009

Vanessa

At the time of Jeremy's accident I met Vanessa; a delightful young woman. Jeremy thought so too. They had been together the whole weekend prior to his accident.
Each time I went to Bairnsdale I had the opportunity to spend time with Ness. She always made time for a coffee and a catch up.
At the time she wrote the most beautiful verse. Although I have not been able to put it in its original format, the sentiment is too precious not to Post.
JEZZA
Awaken to a message
In my bed I would lay
'Good Morning' gorgeous
Another beautiful day
Are you up and about yet?
What's your plans for today?
When do I get to see you?
Miss you babe, you'd say
Reply to a message
In my bed I would lay
Good morning my sweet
You have just made my day
Can't wait to see you
Only one more day
I miss you too baby
Soon I'm out to play
I'll look forward to it baby
Not the same when you're away
That feeling felt between us
We both thought weird hey!
Surprised by the comfort
Shared as we lay
The old married couple
That had so much to say
To a room filled with music
When hearing was betrayed
Our eyes would do the talking
Just go with it. It's OK
Amazed by me the straight girl
Who loved you in everyway
To me you were like sunshine
Filling my heart with rays
We shared similar thoughts
Neither judging what other may
And appreciated the little things
Like a smile can brighten a day
Then when the night fell
In my bed I would lay
Sweet dreams gorgeous
Tomorrow you will stay
Goodnight my sweet
Sleep well I would say
Look forward to tomorrow
Wish it was today
Awaken to a message
In my bed I did lay
Our tomorrow was here baby
But you'd been taken away
Time once looked forward to
Now filled with dismay
The sunshine I once felt
Had now turned to grey
You come to me while dreaming
And wipe my tears away
You don't have to let go baby
In your heart I will stay
My sweet I say 'Thank You'
How can I ever repay
All you taught and gave me
In such a selfless way
Dance like no ones watching
You showed me that OK
Sing like no one's listening
I'll drive you crazy every day
I will cherish our time forever
The world forgotten as we lay
And my smile will return
As you'd want it that way
Be free sweet angel boy
In the stars you now lay
Forever young, forever beautiful
Taking care of us every day.
Ness (far right) with Megan and Ella (granddaughter)
At the time of the Celebration of Life service for Jeremy I met Vanessa's Mother who simply said that she did not know my son but she was so very grateful to him for giving Vanessa back her life.


Last night I spoke to Vanessa (meaning butterfly) only to find that she has been diagnosed with breast cancer. At just 33 years of age I heard, and felt, the fear of the unknown. She is scheduled to undergo a mastectomy on Wednesday. My prayers and love will be with Vanessa. I smiled when she added that she was glad to have Jezz as her Guardian Angel
Oops! Just could not get the spacing on the verse as I wanted it. No patience this morning! I believe it is worth making the effort to read as it is.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh Chery,....
This post....the poem Ness wrote ....tears running down my face now. They surely connected and what stuck out to me was her saying....the "sunshine" she felt from Jezz ...his "smile" so beautiful...the little simple things....the love was there for them. How long it was or how long it lasted really doesn't matter...as they shared a love some never do in a lifetime.

My heart and prayers are with you and Ness as she undergoes this surgery next week. Life just keeps throwing bricks at our faces... somehow we have to turn them into feathers...

Love you my sweet Cheryl,
We can do this... yes...we can...
Diane
xox

Cheryl said...

Diane, how can it be so easy for me to deal with my own breast cancer and yet so difficult to come to terms with it happening to Ness? I do not understand it!
All of the times I have said that cancer is just another word and yet I am distraught thinking of Ness. This has not been a good week for me and I am so emotionally overcome that I simply do not know what to do.
Once again I am grateful to you for your friendship and your prayers.
Somehow I feel that is all I have at this time.
I hope you are right gorgeous friend and we can do this.

Starry said...

Oh Chez,
I did not know Jezz until I knew you, and now here is another precious person for me to discover, Vanessa. I am told she is extra precious and blessed, even though at this time she will be enduring so much she may feel the opposite of blessed. But blessed she is, and blessed she shall remain, and I am told she is not leaving yet.
I hope this helps, I know she will find you and Jezz both very helpful in her dark hours, my love to you and to her,
xxx Starry

Cheryl said...

Oh thank you Starry.

Haydn is a bit upset that it has had such an effect on me. I am unsure why!

I know Jezz is with her and I trust your Word of Knowledge. I simply struggle with the news today.

Have been thinking about you. currently deleting my Inbox as there are just so many e-mails. Must remember to do it more regularly.

Will be in touch a little later this evening. Making chicken soup for Haydn's dinner

mandy said...

Good afternoon Chez....What an amazing poem....I`m with Diane, the way the words are written is just beautiful.....
I`m sure with Vanessa having Jezz and yopusrelf by her side she will get through this "no worries"....
So young to be going through this, but then cancer doesn`t care who it attacks does it???....
Just remember positive thoughts and things will work out for the best....
I do hope you have been looking after yourself also..I feel I have neglected my friends this past week but as usual there have been some issues I have had to deal with .....
Sending my love and prayers of a speedy recovery to you and Vanessa....

Anonymous said...

HI MY PRECIOUS FRIEND,

I HAVE JUST COME HERE NOW....2:30 IN MORNING...LOOKING AND READING THE COMMENTS ON THIS BLOG....I LOVE STARRY!!!! SHE HAS SOME SUPER POWERS I DON'T HAVE...WORD OF KNOWLEDGE...WOW.... SUCH A GIFT....LISTEN TO HER PLEASE...TAKE THE BURDEN OFF OF YOUR HEART AND KNOW SHE IS GOING TO SURVIVE ... NESS WILL SURVIVE AS WILL YOU MY SWEET SPECIAL FRIEND.
TAKE A DEEP CLEANSING BREATH...PRAY FOR CALMNESS, AND DO AS YOU ALWAYS DO....LOVE ALL... WITH ALL THAT YOU HAVE ....AND ALL THAT YOU ARE.... AND ALL THAT GOD HAS GIVEN TO YOU.... TO SHARE WITH OTHERS...YOU ARE A SPECIAL GIFT CHERYL.....TO SO MANY AND GOD HAS BLESSED YOU WITH THIS.

diane b said...

That is bad news for such a talented girl. her poem is beautiful. She is young and strong and with Jezz by her side she will recover. Take care of yourelf.

Cheryl said...

Oh Mandy you are so right! Age means nothing when it come to illness. I am so relieved to hear that Vanessa's results show there is no spread and grateful that I will have the opportunity to be a 'support' for Vanessa.
I have been 'living' with cancer for so many years that it is 'second' nature to me.
I do hope that I can be of some use to Ness and her young son Dilon.
Hope all is well in your world dear friend. I think the psyche of Australians has been badly effected by the bushfires and I pray for us all.

Cheryl said...

Hello Diane Rodgers my dear friend. We have now had our little 'chat' and I feel the strength that comes to me from our friendship. I feel truly blessed to have such wonderful friends. Who would have thought that Jeremy's accident would have taken me down this path?
I can see our boys smiling down on us [Kassie, Carla and all the girls also] as we continue to learn new skills that enable us to keep their memories alive while at the same time making amazing friendships.
I certainly will have to get myself well, and off the morphine, to allow me to be able to travel to Bairnsdale to spend time with Ness when she is ready

Cheryl said...

Diane, I think that the tragic accident that took Jeremy from our lives seemed somehow to bring out thoughts, feeling & talents that we did not know existed within us.
My blogging has also given me new insights and friendships. I thank you for being among those that have become so much part of my healing

Anonymous said...

The poem was beautiful Cheryl. It is very sincere and I am certain it warms your heart to read the inspiration precious Jeremy gave her. I agree with your comment that personal tragedy awakens thoughts and insights within that were buried deep beneath. With the rigours of daily life, I think we sometimes mistake apathy for inner strength...that is until tragedy comes to our own house. It's as though we receive an automatic reorganization of priorities. May God bless both beautiful Vanessa and you Cheryl...you are in my prayers.