Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Tough Couple of Days

Big 'Thank You' to my Earth Angel Friends for caring and encouraging me during the challanges of the past months.

Dr Mark Henderson amused me yesterday. He said that he had no idea what to do about the swelling and redness in the veins as he had just come out of ED. I asked him what 'ED' was. When he said Emergency Department I suggested that had he said ER I would have understood immediately. He asked a senior doctor about my condition. I was advised to do nothing at this point. I was told to watch for changes and warned to call an ambulance, or get myself to hospital immediately, if I felt concerned.

I think I learned that my condition in the surface veins is called Thrombophlebitis even though there are clots. Technically Thrombosis is in the deep vein.

You can imagine my distress this morning to find that I have swelling and inflammation on the opposite leg. I found myself emotionally overcome as I knew that there was more; there is a problem. I am missing something.

Sent and e-mail to Paul in which I explained my current situation. I am suffering dreadfully from the side effects of morphine; the most notable being constipation. His reply stated that can be an effect of the morphine. It is because the constipation allows material to recycle from the bowel by way of the portal vein leading to the liver and thus the blood becomes a little loaded with toxins. I was advised to take one tablespoon of Epsom Salts before retiring. Warned in advance that it is not pleasant...

I know it is time to get off the morphine however, that is not possible with the pain at its current level.

Gathered up my books and began reading. In 'Take Control of Your Health and Escape the Scikness Industry by Elaine Hollingsworth I came across a story from a woman that suffered dreadfully from 'aching veins.' The problem improved when she went off a multi-vitamin supplement containing Ginkgo Biloba.

I then went to Mark Stengler ND who recommends Ginkgo Biloba. It is believed to have a 'tonifying effect' on the venous system which allows for the more efficient return of blood to the heart. Ginkgo has a natural blood-thinning effect. It helps to prevent blood platelets from sticking together - platelets being the cells that form blood clots. It is therefore 'perfect' for someone given my current health isssues.

I am taking a Life Balance Antioxidant Supplement containing Ginkgo. Paul is also taking the same supplement. He is very impressed! I do not feel it is the supplement itself; maybe just the Ginkgo.

I have decided to avoid the Antioxidant supplement for the time being as I search for the answers.

7 comments:

mandy said...

Oh Vhez I can feel your frustration.....
I know when I suffered from what you are going through that the then doctors gave me a cream to rub into my leg plus using a pressure stocking it did help me greatly....Now for the life of me I can not think of the name for the cream....Typical....
Elevation is a key to what you are going through also....
Really i`m no help at all...lol
I do hope that you can find some answers soon Chez....
It seems to be one thing after another but remember that god only gives us what we can handle...No more....
My prayers are with you dear friend and I hope that they will soon be answered....

mandy said...

Damn keyboard....That should of course read CHEZ....

diane b said...

Oh you poor dear, it must be very depressing for you to be in so much pain and not being able to fix the vein problem. Hang in there and hopefully you will have a breakthrough soon.

Anonymous said...

My dear Cheryl,
This is so damn frustrating with yet another flare up of the veins! Someone has to know what to do for this??? I have gone to the internet to read about it all and having active cancer can be a cause. It says, as I am sure you know, too much sitting or laying can cause it also. Have you tried the tight stockings? I feel like an idiot as I am sure you have read all of this already.
I keep feeling like you need to be in the hospital ... a good hospital where they can concentrate totally on you until they find the reason for all of this. It is probably not possible until their is an emergency which is absurd....
I will be praying as it is all I can do from here and also keeping your dear friend Sonya in my heart and prayers after her awful fall from the bike.
Love to you,
Diane
hugs

Cheryl said...

Hey Mandy... at last I am getting back to reply to your comment.
Thankfully, I seem to have less of a problem now that I am off the ginkgo biloba. It must have been a contributing factor.
I did think the pain was a little under control however I decided today that even going to the beach caused me enormous grief. It has been dreadful.
How is your weather today?

Cheryl said...

Diane are you still having a wonderful time with your family?
This has been very trying, I must admit.
Pain still there but I know that like all things 'It too will pass'

Cheryl said...

Hey there Diane Rodgers
Probably no need for me to reply here now after our 'one on one' yesterday.
Sweet friend please understand that I am keeping a close watch on the fires in Victoria so I will be in touch with you a little later.
God Bless